SINAPSE Virtual Happy Hour Aug 25, 2021 05:00 PM - 06:00 PM — Zoom
3rd Scottish Ultrasound Annual Scientific Meeting Aug 27, 2021 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM — Virtual Meeting (online)
Medical Imaging Convention [rescheduled] Sep 15, 2021 - Sep 16, 2021 — National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham, England
2021 SINAPSE ASM Sep 16, 2021 - Sep 17, 2021 — Technology & Innovation Centre, University of Strathclyde, 99 George Street, Glasgow
Total Body PET 2021 conference [rescheduled] Sep 22, 2021 - Sep 24, 2021 — Virtual Meeting (online)

eLearning

SINAPSE experts from around Scotland have developed ten online modules designed to explain medical imaging. They are freely available and are intended for non-specialists.


Edinburgh Imaging Academy at the University of Edinburgh offers the following online programmes through a virtual learning environment:

Neuroimaging for Research MSc/Dip/Cert

Imaging MSc/Dip/Cert

PET-MR Principles & Applications Cert

Applied Medical Image Analysis Cert

Online Short Courses

Mr Alessandro Colombano

Position: PhD Student

Interests:

The cardiac contractile work is fundamental to maintain heart’s tissue perfusion. Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) is the main chemical fuel used for this purpose. Almost 90% of ATP in the healthy heart is synthesised through the FAO, while the remaining 10% is produced via the glycolysis pathway. In the Heart Failure (HF) syndrome a switch between these two pathways has been reported: in the early stages of HF the FAO/glycolysis relative rates are unchanged, while in the advanced ones there is a downregulation of the FAO pathway strongly linked to disease’s progression and severity. Thus, assessing the FAO rate would improve patients monitoring and therapy effectiveness. FAO imaging using Positron Emission Tomography (PET) allows its absolute quantification through a tracer labelled with radioactive nuclides, for instance 11C or 18F. Metabolically trapped probes are particularly interesting because they undergo the FAO generating a radioactive metabolite, which is trapped in the mitochondria reflecting the oxidation rate. A novel PET candidate has been designed to be taken up by the myocardium as a conventional fatty acid and would be a FAO substrate; the β-oxidation cycle is then expected to generate a reactive difluoroketone which would be trapped inside the mitochondria and its emitted radioactivity would reflect the FAO rate.

Institute: University of Aberdeen

Department: Institute of Medical Sciences



Collaborators

Astrazeneca

CIC biomaGUNE