SINAPSE experts from around Scotland have developed ten online modules designed to explain medical imaging. These have been revised, refreshed, and are freely available and are intended for non-specialists.
Edinburgh Imaging Academy
The University of Edinburgh offers online Masters, Diplomas, Certificates, and short courses through the Edinburgh Imaging Academy. For general information, please visit www.ed.ac.uk/edinburgh-imaging/academy
To hear a brief description about the online courses on offer from the Edinburgh Imaging Academy – please listen to the Programme Director, Prof Andrew Farrall: https://youtu.be/oLAS6xmvTC8
MSc/Diploma/Cert in Neuroimaging for Research at the University of Edinburgh – by online distance learning
The Edinburgh Imaging Academy, offers applicants the opportunity to improve their neuroimaging expertise and gain a master’s qualification from one of the top universities in the world, through online distance learning. The programme is part time, offering flexible learning opportunities to applicants, allowing them to remain at their current work place and in their chosen location.
- Gives a broad overview of how neuroimaging techniques have helped advance the understanding and treatment of brain disorders
- Presents information on the physics of key imaging techniques
- Describes various image processing methods and common approaches such as lesion size measurement
- Discusses practical neuroimaging aspects and key health & safety issues
- Discusses key points of relevance between experimental model imaging and human imaging
MSc/Dip/Cert Imaging programme at the University of Edinburgh – by online distance learning
The Edinburgh Imaging Academy, offers applicants the opportunity to improve their imaging expertise in their specialist area, whether that is medical imaging, preclinical imaging or microscopy. The programme is part time, offering flexible learning opportunities to applicants, allowing them to remain at their current work place and in their chosen location.
There is a wide range of courses, covered within the programme including:
- Techniques & Physics
- Applications in disease
- Digital Image processing & analysis
- Image Interpretation & Evaluation
- Clinical Applications
- Study design
- Light microscopy
- Preclinical imaging
- Body anatomy
- Translational imaging & Clinical imaging
- Functional Imaging
- Common Image Processing Techniques
- Cardiovascular imaging
Each course listed above, can also be done either as a standalone accredited PPD certificate or as a self-taught online CPD module. For further information, please visit the www.imagingmsc.ed.ac.uk website.
SINAPSE students are welcome to discuss gaining access to this online teaching material, for their own reference. Students should contact the Programme Director via the firstname.lastname@example.org email.
PET-MR principles & applications Cert at the University of Edinburgh – by online distance learning
This online certificate delivered by the Edinburgh Imaging Academy aims to:
- provide an understanding of PET-MR imaging theory, techniques, analysis and applications
- develop research planning and designing skills, incorporating PET-MR imaging
- enable interpretation and analysis of relevant PET-MR imaging data
- relate PET-MR imaging research to clinical applications
This certificate would suit radiographers, researchers and clinicians who are looking to communicate the principles and applications of PET-MR imaging.
Full details on the www.petmrcert.ed.ac.uk website.
Applied medical image analysis Cert at the University of Edinburgh – by online distance learning
This online certificate delivered by the Edinburgh Imaging Academy offers students the chance to study imaging physics and techniques, and image analysis and processing, including gaining skills in the use of MATLAB.
Full details on the www.imageanalysiscert.ed.ac.uk website.
Online Short Courses
Short courses are available through either online, unsupervised, self-directed learning or online, supervised University of Edinburgh credit-bearing modes of study.
Example unsupervised online short courses
- Anatomical Imaging Package
- Medical Image Analysis & Processing Course Package A
- Medical Image Analysis & Processing Course Package B
Example supervised online short courses